If you have a family member or close friend who loves crossword puzzles, a personalized puzzle that brings back great memories can be the special gift you’ve been looking for. But creating your personalized puzzle is not easy. You will need to spend time developing an extensive list of possible answers, and then even more time writing meaningful clues after the puzzle has been constructed. The good news is that process itself is usually enjoyable and often made even more fun when working together with friends or family members.
The end game is a Sunday New York Times-style puzzle. Stylistically, your puzzle will have more answers and more shorter-length answers than published puzzles, to allow the flexibility for more personalization.
- Kick-off call; summarize process; answer any questions
- Client develops (extensive) answer list
- Constructor consults with the client to learn more about the gift-recipient/“puzzler”
- Constructor builds the puzzle
- Client develops clues, with consultation/guidance from constructor, and comes up with title for puzzle
- Constructor and client finalize puzzle for print and/or online versions
Timing varies greatly for each puzzle, but answer development, puzzle construction, and clue development can all be quite labor intensive. Most puzzles take at least a couple of weeks to complete.
More detailed process specifications along with suggestions on how to build answer lists is provided upon project approval.
- Online access to puzzle (PC, Mac, or iPad) and/or pdf printed version to complete the puzzle “old-school.” Note: the online puzzle is difficult to access on smart phones given the size of the grid.
- A 12×18 printed keepsake puzzle with clues and answers, with an option for a framed version at an additional cost
If you’re interested in moving forward with a project or learning more please contact us using the form below: